Dive planner VPM-B problems

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Oct 17 09:33:56 PDT 2017

On 17/10/2017 09:53, Stefan Fuchs wrote:

> Hello Willem,
>
> Am 17.10.2017 um 09:42 schrieb Willem Ferguson:
>> On 16/10/2017 21:56, Stefan Fuchs wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW: You could be one of the best candidates for testing my latest
>>> changes around cylinder handling in the planner. It would be great
>>> to hear from your side if this improves or breaks s.th. for you.
>>> Robert merged the changes already but the PR was this one:
>>> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/663
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Stefan
>>>
>>> -
Stefan,

I have been trying out a lot of things around dive planning today this
afternoon to test your patches within my dive context. I could not find
any problem. Attached one of the dives I worked with. I loved it when
changing the gas of the first segment of the dive, the cylinder table
changed to put the gas first used at the top. I added segments at the
bottom of the dive planner points table and these were placed at the
start of the profile if the runtime was set appropriately. I really
messed around, deleting cylinders, changing cylinders and adding
cylinders and everything remained coherent and stable. I also see that
all the cylinders used in the dive planner points table are marked as
non-removable from the dive. Ok, Good.

About minimum pressures, you can see that the minimum pressure is given
for the final bottom gas. As planned, there are 34 bars of bottom gas
required to from the start of ascent complete the dive. If I double the
deco SAC (SAC factor = 2) I would need 41 bars of back gas for the
ascent. If I took one minute for problem solving I would need
30(litres/min=2*deco SAC)*9(atm) = 360 litres of air = 11 bars of D12
cylinders. That is 45 bars in total. But the problem solving would have
been at the bottom depth (80m) before ascent, therefore the problem
solving need is possibly better defined in terms of the bottom SAC, not
the deco SAC (i.e. 15 bars and not 11 bars). But, I am very slowly
getting to understand the argument.

Kind regards,
willem

Please refer to