Bisecting using git

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Oct 20 03:07:08 PDT 2017

On 20/10/2017 11:08, Jan Mulder wrote:
> On 20-10-17 10:48, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>> When bisecting, what type of version/commit number is used to refer
>> to specific commits?
>
> Did you read https://git-scm.com/docs/git-bisect ?
>
> you can use all kinds of references to a commit. Its SHA, a label
> attached to it. And probably more, that I never used.
>
> --jan

Thank you, Jan.

willem at FINS:~/src/subsurface$ git bisect start
willem at FINS:~/src/subsurface$ git bisect bad
willem at FINS:~/src/subsurface$ git bisect good 4.6.4-1003
fatal: Needed a single revision
Bad rev input: 4.6.4-1003
willem at FINS:~/src/subsurface$

I have no way of defining 4.6.4.1003 better. I need a better way to
specify a reference to  a commit and selecting Help->About Subsurface
does not give more info.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to