4.7 - again

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 04:07:31 PDT 2017

On 20 October 2017 at 10:14, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo Dirk,
>
> thanks for the warm words - it's real fun to work together with all of you -
> but my wife will kill me soon... ;-)

yeah, please be careful to not get burned out from work and/or divorced.
"hey, i got divorced because i worked all night on software" doesn't sound good.

> Am 19.10.2017 um 13:54 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
>
>> My plan right now is to give people a couple of days to read the manual,
>> maybe (if you are ambitious), add translations for the changes in the
>> manual, spend time with the remaining translations on Transifex (I just
>> pushed another hand full of strings - so right now all languages are
>> missing a few translations) and maybe fix a few more oddities.
>
> I'll pause doing (small) features now. I already have one or two smalls
> things ready but they have to wait for post 4.7.

yes, feature locking sounds very reasonable at this stage - i.e. BETA.

> Unfortunately I constantly stumble across small bugs at the moment. Will
> still try to fix a few more.

that's where the "release-small, release-often" model works great:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

i haven't read this in a book or something, i just saw it in action in
a big public closed source project...it works great.
aaand i think i've proposed this at least 3 times the past 6 years. :-)

what i propose:

1) add "daily" links next to the the official download link on the website
i'm pretty sure we already point a lot of people to the daily links.

2) the community is the QA team (like we already do that)
e.g. Rick saw a crash yesterday, he immediately reported it, but it
wasn't the latest build and we already have a fix for that.
the software crashing is not that dangerous.

3) we only announce MINOR bumps to social media.
we announce PATCH bumps *only* at the website and do PATCH bump more often too.
put the change log on the website - the dev. team can help to update that.

 i will add Dirk and Linus to CC, to see if they want to trigger this
change one day.

thanks
lubomir