Improving dive site names on the dive map

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Oct 21 00:06:53 PDT 2017

Lubomir,

Attached is a screenshot with some dive sites in my dive log. As you can
see, the names overlap too such an extent that the readability and
information provided by the map is compromised.

Is there any sensible way to omit some of the names from the image to
improve readability when there is overlap of text? I have thought a bit
about how one would do something like this, but it appears complex
because it is determined by the degree of zoom applied to the map as
well as the dive site spacing in a particular area. Ultimately, at very
close zoom-in it would not be necessary to omit any names, but at a
zoomed-out scale deleting some names bay be useful. I notice that you
automatically do not provide dive site names when the map is zoomed out
very far. I therefore assume you have actually thought about this
problem and that there is not a simple solution?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf for full