Thread related crash on failed dive computer download

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 31 05:52:45 PDT 2017

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 4:43 AM, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 31-10-17 12:05, Jan Mulder wrote:
>
>> But Dirk has to worry, as it suspiciously close to the new error handling code that has just landed in master.
>
> for Dirk:
>
> from Qt 5.9.2 from build from source with debug:
>
> failed to connect to the controller  00:80:25:4A:0F:C2 with error ""
> QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
> (Parent is QLabel(0x5555562909c0), parent's thread is QThread(0x555555ea2cc0), current thread is DownloadThread(0x7fffffffcbc0)
> ASSERT failure in QCoreApplication::sendEvent: "Cannot send events to objects owned by a different thread. Current thread 0x0x7fffffffcbc0. Receiver '' (of type 'QToolButton') was created in thread 0x0x555555ea2cc0", file kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp, line 563
>
> Sounds like a fundamental problem, with the new way of error reporting ... but not sure ...

Yes, that makes sense. Doing the showNotification there might fail. Instead we should just let the UI thread know that there is a new message to display. This may prevent 4.7.2 today as I won't have time to look at this until late this evening and then we might want to test it :-)

Unless one of you can look at it while I'm on an airplane for the next two hours