4.7.8 has been announced

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 5 15:33:46 PDT 2018

Hi Everyone.

You know the drill... please repost / like the announcement to get it in
front of more people.

The last two months I have been more busy than usual (isn't that what I
said for the last release as well? - I need to look into my definition of
"usual"). Additionally I haven't been diving in WAY to long. But excuses
aside, Berthold, Stefan, Lubomir and many others have stepped up not just
in addressing bugs and adding features, but also in the overall
maintenance of our sources. My sincerest thanks for that.

And of course my thanks to the translators and all of you who helped test
the code. We couldn't do it without you.

Here are the stats:
(as always, my number are exaggerate by silly maintenance tasks, I really
didn't have a lot of interesting code contributions...)

$ git shortlog -s -n v4.7.7..v4.7.8
    42  Berthold Stoeger
    33  Dirk Hohndel
    29  Stefan Fuchs
    25  Lubomir I. Ivanov
    17  Jan Mulder
    10  Miika Turkia
     8  Joakim Bygdell
     7  Salvador Cuñat
     3  Anton Lundin
     2  Robert Helling
     1  Jeremie Guichard
     1  Linus Torvalds
     1  Oliver Schwaneberg
     1  Willem Ferguson

Welcome to Jeremie Guichard our latest new contributor!

With the steady creep of version numbers I continue to wonder... what's
going to make this a 4.8? How will it become 5.0? Or do we steal yet
another page from Linus' playbook and make the numbers meaningless? Simply
define "we'll stop at 9" and go from 4.7.9 to 4.8.0?

I'm open to suggestions.

In the meantime I still haven't figured out how to get the google map
plugin to load on iOS - but I think we should make a new Android release,
shortly. I'll push the latest binary to the beta channel.