Documenting coding conventions for new comers.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Apr 9 07:44:55 PDT 2018

> On Apr 9, 2018, at 3:26 AM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To cope with this I've prepared a change introducing a new CONVENTIONS.md file that is meant to collect such information: https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/1196 <https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/1196> Any feedback is welcome. Since it is the one convention I learned during a recent pull request I proposed, I started with documenting the use of membuffer for string manipulations...
>
> What is the distinction between the existing CodingStyle and the proposed CONVENTIONS.md? IMO, what you currently have there could have easily been included in the CodingStyle. Having all the essential information in single place sounds better for newcomers.

I think I'll have to agree with Miika on this one. Fewer places to read through make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.
One could of course argue that using membuffer and other such conventions technically aren't coding style, but I think with a slightly more liberal interpretation of that term... simply add a section called "Conventions" to the CodingStyle document and I think we will all be happier :-)

> Then if/when the currently discussed pull request would be approved it would be nice to reflect these changes in the corresponding page on https://subsurface-divelog.org <https://subsurface-divelog.org/>. The question is: Was this page manually edited in Subsurface-website repository or was it actually generated from markdown? If so, is the script available somewhere?
>
> IIRC these are edited directly.

The website is run on a WordPress instance that is synced (in a somewhat fragile manner) with a GitHub repo. So the sources for the page in question should be here:

https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/Subsurface-website/blob/master/_pages/contributing.en <https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/Subsurface-website/blob/master/_pages/contributing.en>

The translations of the website are unfortunately not as well maintained as one might hope (this is all volunteer work and it's tedious work...), but you can see the translations in the GitHub repo as well.