maps on iOS

Hartley Horwitz hhrwtz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 10:45:50 PDT 2018

> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 22:58:00 +0300
> Subject: Re: maps on iOS
> On 7 April 2018 at 07:35, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 10:58 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks to Murillo we finally have a working map module on iOS as well.
> >

> > Great!
> >

> >> If you are registered for TestFlight you should have received a
> >> notification.
> >> If you aren't (or didn't) and would like to play with this, please drop
> me
> >> a line.
> >>
> >> Overall iOS is still our smallest user group with the fewest people
> >> actively
> >> testing - so if you have access to an iOS device, I'd really appreciate
> >> some
> >> feedback.
> >

> > Initially the map seems to be working OK. At least it shows the dive I
> have
> > chosen from dive list.
> >
> > It appears that one cannot choose location for a dive that does not
> contain
> > any GPS coordinates. Looking at options for a dive with coordinates, it
> > appears that this might not be supported on mobile at all.
> >

> i must admit that i didn't test adding GPS to a dive that doesn't have it.
>
> if editing coordinates from the dive details creates a `dive_site`
> object and adds it to the list of dive sites, then the map will create
> a marker for it once re-opened / reloaded. that's how the map backend
> works on desktop and mobile.
> editing the coordinates of a dive with GPS did work the last time i've
> checked.
>
> > I wonder if both the mapit icon and gps icon at the bottom are both
> > required. Maybe just getting rid of the button at the top right corner?
> >

> hmm, i'm not sure which one is the GPS icon.
> i was only using the "map it" button on top of the dive details to open
> the map.
>
> > How is the choosing of shown dive sites supposed to work? Does it make
> any
> > sense on mobile? I can highlight the dives shown on the map, but they
> don't
> > seem to be selected when I return to dive list. If there is no proper
> > need/use for choosing multiple dives on mobile then maybe disable this
> > options from the map. Or do we somehow support editing multiple dives on
> > mobile?
> >

> selecting multiple flags on the map or selecting multiple dives in the
> dive list is not possible on mobile.
> selecting a flag from the map should select a single dive from the
> dive list (latest dive on that dive site).
>
> maybe you found a bug, because at least a couple of people confirmed
> that the selection works when this was merged.
>
> lubomir
> --
>
> The map on iOS is working on my phone - at least the features I've tested:
* opening a map, selecting satellite or map view
* selecting a dive site and returning to the dive list - the selected dive
is chosen
* changing zoom by gestures or using +/- icons
* selecting a dive from the list, and choosing "Map It" icon

All my dives have GPS coordinates.  I tried adding a new dive without
coordinates and the "Map It" function is dimmed as expected.   I couldn't
figure out how to manually add the location using the map, but I didn't
spend long trying.

Overall, things working well for me.  Thanks - the apps looks great. Now
all I need is a BT dive computer.

...Hartley