Mares Quad with BLE Interface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 10 09:26:37 PDT 2018

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 9:19 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> The BLE case has no chance in hell of working right now -
> libdivecomputer doesn't even have any support for it, and we've never
> seen a BLE trace. So getting BLE working would require somebody to
> first get a successful trace from the Mares app, and then likely a
> whole lot of work to figure out the protocol. It *might* be one of
> those easy cases ("very usual BLE serial emulation, same protocol as
> the old serial protocol") but it might be a big job. But even the
> "easy case" tends to be pretty nasty with BLE.

Dropping the user forum for the moment and switching this to the developer
mailing list...

What's our best bet to create a process to do this?
Ask people to send their dive computers to Linus? Tempting, but maybe
not as scalable as one might hope.
Asking Linus to buy every dive computer out there? Clearly you're working
towards that already, but also not all that scalable.
Instructions how to create a BLE trace (I guess on Android?)?
Other ideas?

Pretty much every major dive computer manufacturer has announced at
least one new BLE dive computer (they all want to have their own custom
iPhone app... go figure). So we'll see a lot more of these pop up - and it's
disappointing to think that we can't figure out how to get more BLE dive
computers supported...

Jef has gotten quite good at getting to the bottom of serial/USB connection
traces, maybe we can learn from that?