Mares Quad with BLE Interface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 10 14:54:26 PDT 2018

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 2:40 PM, Berthold Stoeger <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> The hard(er) part was setting up a server. Out of a number of options,
> this BlueZ-based server: https://github.com/nettlep/gobbledegook was the most
> successful. But it had some limitations: I couldn't set all the
> characteristics (IIRC the vendor string). Also, to advertise as the Aladin
> Sport, I had to set my hostname accordingly. :) At the time, this looked to me
> like BlueZ limitations. But I didn't investigate further, once Linus realized
> that it's simply a G2-variant.
>
> In summary, cloning the structure of a dive computer and catching the initial
> message of the mobile app can probably be automated rather easily with certain
> limitations. If there is interest, I could try this based on a BlueZ backend
> (i.e. no Windows). But note that I'll be travelling the next two weeks and
> have reduced time and internet connectivity.

That does sound reasonably hard to do in a generic way. And I'm guessing that
people are more likely to have an Android device than a Linux laptop with BLE
stack.

So maybe the better approach would be to figure out how to write a step by
step description how to get the characteristics with nRF Connect on Android.
And then figure out if we can use that information to get further in figuring out
the handshake with the dive computer. It's that part that I'm unclear about.

I'll play with this a bit in my infinite spare time...