Bluetooth fails on mobile

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 07:09:59 PDT 2018

On 12 April 2018 at 15:11, Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org> wrote:

>> Yes but how to save partial downloads?
>> If my Petrel has 100 dives on it and I miss just the last three of
>> them on my logbook why I have to download 100 dives.
>

> Recovering from a partial download is tricky!
>
> To be able to download only the new dives (which is the most common
> use-case), libdivecomputer downloads the dives in reverse order (e.g. newest
> first). Thus after a partial download, you have the newest dives, but not
> the oldest dives. But if you try to download again, in an attempt to get
> those old dives as well, there are two problems:
>
> (1) When the download only new dives logic sees the newest dive again, it
> will abort the download. So you need to disable it and force it to download
> all dives.
>
> (2) There is no way to skip dives you already have. So you'll be downloading
> those dives again before reaching the old dives you're interested in. This
> is inefficient, but the worse part is that if you encounter again an error
> before reaching those old dives, then you're still stuck. If the error is
> due to some unreliable connection, then you may need many attempts, which is
> of course very annoying.

I do not get you. I'm sorry.
Anyway I miss form my logbook only the last newest dives. So I do not
understand why it's not possible to save them to a temp location and
then parsing what's good from the partial download.
My download stops after the newest 10 dives and I need only the first three.

> Note that subsurface also has another related problem. When there is an
> error during the parsing of a dive, the download is aborted. And thus you
> won't be able to download any of the older dives before the problematic
> dive!
>
>> Even the plain libdivecomputer utility has a lot of problem downloading
>> them.
>

> Have you already tried with the new bluetooth transport? The native
> bluetooth transport appears to be a lot more reliable than the serial port
> emulation. I'm not sure what is going on, but it's certainly not something
> specific to the Shearwater dive computers, because I've seen similar reports
> with other brands.
>
> You can download a pre-build binary here:
>
> https://libdivecomputer.org/builds/stable/windows/dctool.exe
>
> Instead of specifying the name of the virtual serial port, you pass the
> bluetooth mac address, along with the '-t bluetooth' option to enable the
> bluetooth transport:
>
> dctool -v -l petrel.log -f petrel download -o petrel.xml -t bluetooth
> 00:11:22:33:44:55
>
> Jef

No I did not try it because on my PC with the Shearwater BT dongle I
have no problem ATM.
I had problem in the past trying to download dives from several
rebreather with ctool no matter the OS I was using. I spent 50€ of
saft batteries to download them.

Now the problem is downloading dives from my petrel via Subsurface mobile.

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos