Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Apr 17 20:35:21 PDT 2018

 So libdivecomputer has a new custom IO model, which allows us to drop
our home-made one.

However, that new model is fairly different from our old model, and
there were other updates too, so the changes are "flag-day" changes
where we switch over both libdivecomputer and subsurface together.

I have *TEST* branches for both, in case people want to help test.
Note! I only do source code, so this really only works for people who
can build their own subsurface binary, but if you are one of those
hardy souls, it realy would be good to get more cases tested.

I have verified and downloaded:

 - Shearwater Perdix AI over BLE

 - Suunto EON Core over USB

 - Suunto Vyper Air over the Suunto USB serial line

so many of the transports have been tested. But I don't have any
rfcomm devices (ie old bluetooth) and I don't have any "direct USB"
devices (eg Atomics Aquatics Cobalt).

Also, I only tested on my Linux desktop, because that's how I roll.

Anyway, if you can build subsurface and libdivercomputer, and are
interested in testing, I have test branches for both:

    https://github.com/torvalds/libdc-for-dirk.git Subsurface-NG

    https://github.com/torvalds/subsurface-for-dirk.git libdivecomputer-NG

NOTE! I may end up rebasing those branches, so don't consider them stable.

NOTE 2! I have *not* set up that subsurface branch to have the
submodule link to my libdivecomputer branch, partly exactly because
these are unstable branches and I don't want to tie them together too
tightly. So you should pull the subsurface and libdivecomputer
subdirectories separately, and the usual "pull subsurface, then do
'git submodule update'" model will not work.

It may break things. I'd be surprised if it doesn't. So keep that in
mind. This is very much for people who are happy playing around and
helping get some coverage for early work.

                       Linus