Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 18 12:17:25 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Sébastien Dugué
<sebastien.dugue.subsurface at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Looks like a bit daunting for me. However maybe a userspace approach
> might be doable. Dunno. Will have to think a bit more about it.

Indeed. That has been my long-term thinking about IRDA - most of the
IRDA dongles are just USB or serial devices, and the protocol
could/should be done in user space.

That's particularly true for something like a divecomputer, which
really only talks to one single device.

IRDA in _general_ is really damn complicated. And nobody actually does
the general case.

So the sane thing to do would be to basically do a special custom IRDA
thing that just talks directly to the dongle (using libusb, or just
using a serial port, depending on what the uwatec dongle actually
does?)

              Linus