Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 18 12:20:35 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Sébastien Dugué
<sebastien.dugue.subsurface at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Right, only bring back those pieces that are of interest. I'll take a look
> at this, but I'm not really into bloated communication stacks... I'm merely
> a low-level driver coder.

If you're more comfortable just sending packets to the device, doing
it in user space would be much better.

It would also make it possible to work on OS X, because there's no
IRDA stack at all there.

So a user space stack would likely be simpler, easier to test, and
actually technically superior.

The "do IRDA in kernel space" made sense back in the bad old days when
IRDA was a real protocol used for transferring files and stuff, and
was supposed to be generic.

It never worked very well even back then, but at least it made sense
to have IRDA as a networking stack.

Today, the _only_ user I'm aware of is old dive computers. It doesn't
make sense as a networking stack any more.

             Linus