Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Sébastien Dugué sebastien.dugue.subsurface at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:27:55 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Linus Torvalds
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Sébastien Dugué
> <sebastien.dugue.subsurface at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>   Looks like a bit daunting for me. However maybe a userspace approach
>> might be doable. Dunno. Will have to think a bit more about it.
>
> Indeed. That has been my long-term thinking about IRDA - most of the
> IRDA dongles are just USB or serial devices, and the protocol
> could/should be done in user space.

  Yes, I totally agree on this.

> That's particularly true for something like a divecomputer, which
> really only talks to one single device.
>
> IRDA in _general_ is really damn complicated. And nobody actually does
> the general case.

  I looked into this when writing a simulator of my 2G and as far as I
remember, there's not much of the stack involved when talking to an irda
DC. All special cases. I may still have the traffic captures laying around

> So the sane thing to do would be to basically do a special custom IRDA
> thing that just talks directly to the dongle (using libusb, or just
> using a serial port, depending on what the uwatec dongle actually
> does?)

  Yes, that would be my approach because in the end it's just a serial stream
of commands and responses.

  Sébastien.