Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 18 12:45:59 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Sébastien Dugué
<sebastien.dugue.subsurface at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I looked into this when writing a simulator of my 2G and as far as I
> remember, there's not much of the stack involved when talking to an irda
> DC. All special cases. I may still have the traffic captures laying around

Yeah, it should be trivial. There's some small headers for addresses,
and there's a discovery protocol, but it's not complicated.

What made IRDA complex wasn't actually so much the individual
messages, but the documentation and the layering and the abstraction.

It was a classic case of somebody thinking that "hey, we should follow
the OSI model with seven layers of communication" (which was really a
very common mindset in the 80's and 90's) and the end result is not
just a ton of code, but code that is pretty hard to understand and
follow too.

So there's the IRDA physical layer, then the link access layer, then
the link management layer, and then the communication layer.

It's all completely overdesigned BS. Comms people _loved_ doing things
like that.

                  Linus