question about declared transports

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 19 03:10:41 PDT 2018

Hi Jef,

I have a question about the meaning of the transport flags.
My understanding was that DC_TRANSPORT_SERIAL is an indication that the
dive computer supports some form of wired serial interface (Rs232 or more
typically serial over USB). What I don't understand in this context is
this:

/* Shearwater Predator */
{"Shearwater", "Predator", DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PREDATOR, 2, DC_TRANSPORT_SERIAL | DC_TRANSPORT_BLUETOOTH, dc_filter_shearwater},
/* Shearwater Petrel */
{"Shearwater", "Petrel",    DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PETREL, 3, DC_TRANSPORT_SERIAL | DC_TRANSPORT_BLUETOOTH, dc_filter_shearwater},
{"Shearwater", "Petrel 2",  DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PETREL, 3, DC_TRANSPORT_SERIAL | DC_TRANSPORT_BLUETOOTH | DC_TRANSPORT_BLE, dc_filter_shearwater},
{"Shearwater", "Nerd",      DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PETREL, 4, DC_TRANSPORT_SERIAL | DC_TRANSPORT_BLUETOOTH, dc_filter_shearwater},
{"Shearwater", "Perdix",    DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PETREL, 5, DC_TRANSPORT_SERIAL | DC_TRANSPORT_BLUETOOTH | DC_TRANSPORT_BLE, dc_filter_shearwater},
{"Shearwater", "Perdix AI", DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PETREL, 6, DC_TRANSPORT_BLE, dc_filter_shearwater},
{"Shearwater", "Nerd 2",    DC_FAMILY_SHEARWATER_PETREL, 7, DC_TRANSPORT_BLE, dc_filter_shearwater},

To the best of my knowledge, no version of the Predator / Petrel / Nerd
family has a wired serial interface, all they do is BT or BLE (I actually
checked the website to make sure).

What am I missing?