Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Apr 22 17:06:50 PDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Yeah, it's ugly, but it should make a huge difference in BLE download speed
> if I understand correctly what's going on.

The whole thing is basically completely mis-designed and retarded. On
most dive computers it actually is *worse* than what we do right now.

It also depends on actually remembering the fingerprint, and giving it
back to the right device. Which is hard to begin with, since you don't
get the proper serial number from libdivecomputer, so it's not even
easy to know which fingerprint to use.

So now you have to remember garbage that is irrelevant in 99% of all
cases, that is ugly random data that could be any size, and that you
have to then also match up with the right dive computer based on other
garbage data that isn't even reliable.

Really?

I really don't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole.

                Linus