Any brave dive computer download testers out there?

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Apr 23 02:59:24 PDT 2018

On 2018-04-20 04:56, Matt Thompson wrote:
> My Atomic Cobalt2 worked on Windows and macOS but failed on Linux.  I
> think
> the failure on Linux is a configuration issue on my part but for
> completeness I get the following in the console:
> ERROR: Failed to open the usb device. [in
> ../../src/atomics_cobalt.c:117
> (atomics_cobalt_device_open)]
> INFO: dc_deveice_open error value of -6
> I get that error on both
> Subsurface-4.7.8-73-ga12ea13d51f5-x86_64.AppImage
> and Subsurface-4.7.8-x86_64.AppImage.

This looks like a permission error. Have you installed the necessary
udev rules?

Download this file:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer/master/contrib/udev/libdivecomputer.rules

and copy it to /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory.

(This assumes you are in the plugdev group.)

> My Suunto D4i failed on all three platforms.  It gave various errors on
> the
> platforms:
> Windows 10:
>  the red banner at the bottom of the main window with the message
> "Unsupported operation"

Difficult to tell without further info. Did you install the USB driver?

> Fedora: A message box  with the message "Unable to open /dev/ttyUSB0"
> and a
> message on the console "ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in
> ../../src/suunto_d9.c:253 (suunto_d9_device_packet)]

Looks again like a permission error. Make sure you're in the dialout
group:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

(You'll have to logout and login again before this takes effect.)

> macOS: A message box with the message "Error downloading dive data"

No idea.

Jef