Cleaned up and rebased "libdivecomputer-NG" branch

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 25 16:39:58 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:24:25PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, so it's using the BLE code, it just isn't able to get a service list. Odd.
> >
> > Indeed - what's the next step to debug this? My guess is that we should
> > somehow dump what we get back?
>
> We do. Normally you'd see that whole song and dance:
>
>   connected to the controller for device F0:73:0A:BA:CD:F9
>     .. discovering services
>   Sending read_by_group_type request, startHandle: 1 endHandle: ffff 2800
>   Received size: 3 data: "035000"
>   Server MTU: 80 resulting mtu: 80
>   Received size: 14 data: "11060100090000180a000a000118"
>   Found uuid: "{00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}" start handle: 1
> end handle: 9
>   Found service "{00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"

That's what I thought - so we haven't turned that off by mistake or
anything...

> >> Maybe the same old "Shearwater dive computers have some random memory
> >> of what they talked to last, and refuse to talk to anybody else". With
> >> some unknown rule for what that memory is..
> >
> > Yeah, but Shearwater says it doesn't. There must be something magic that
> > we aren't sending to the dive computer. Or something.
>
> It may just have some very limited bluetooth stack, and be very picky,
> and there's something randomly going wrong.

I'm reading the Shearwater Cloud Beta information... under "I am having
trouble connecting my Android device to my dive computer" they write:

There are a few ways you can try to establish connectivity with your Android device:

    Restart the app
    Ensure “Location Services” are enabled
    Restarting the Bluetooth connection every 30 seconds
    Restart the Android device

The second one is an oddity in Android BLE permissions. That isn't our
problem as other BLE devices work.
The third one is interesting... not sure what to do with that.

So clearly there is some Shearwater issue hidden here. I'll keep playing
with it. So frustrating.