Cleaned up and rebased "libdivecomputer-NG" branch

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 06:25:11 PDT 2018

On 28 April 2018 at 02:01, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>>> just realized that 9 / 9 mean the start and end handle for this service.
>>> so i guess that also confirms that the service has no characteristics
>>> if they are equal.
>>
>> That makes sense
>
> More testing shows even less reasonable results.
>
> Android only ever sees the Petrel 2 as type 2 (BLE only) device (even though it should
> be a type 3 (dual stack) device).
> Trying to force a BLE bonding from nRF Connect makes the BT stack crash.
> Trying to download over BLE from Subsurface-mobile on Android fails as described.
> But… ignoring the “BLE only” designation and instead downloading via rfcomm succeeds.
>
> Hrmpf.
>
> I guess I’ll have to add a special case for Petrel devices that if they fail on BLE they should
> try BT after all, anyway? Not my preferred solution, but I’m not sure what else to try.

here is a similar problem after googling:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48659598/ble-device-works-on-ios-but-not-on-android

"BLE device works on ios but not on Android"
" I can connect to the device, but one of the Service (UUID:7570)
becomes empty, and I can't read or write to any characteristic."
"If a service is empty when it shouldn't be, it's probably incorrectly
set up at the GATT server"

if nRF Connect is crashing this might not be a Qt bug.

this app claims that it can enumerate the services and characteristics
on a device:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.macdom.ble.blescanner&hl=en_US

if such apps don't work then it's not a Qt bug.
if it works on another Android phone then it's OS / HW specific.
if it's an Android wide issue i think the fallback to classic BT is a
good option for this device / vendor, for now.

lubomir