help needed: Android devices and FTDI dive computers

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Aug 8 09:32:16 PDT 2018

I need help from people who have both an Android device, an FTDI dive
computer / download cable, and a way to connect the two (OTG cable for
older phones - for USB C phones this tends to be simply a USB C/A adapter)

Can you install the USB Device Info app from the app store, plug in the
FTDI cable, and send me the device info that is shown (plus any
descriptive information about the dive computer / download cable that you
used)?

I have access to a single such device, a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 3 - and
that presents me with a Product Name of "HeinrichsWeikamp OSTC 3". How
useful, I have code ready that will show the download page with the
correct dive computer selected when you plug in that dive computer. I'd
love to see what other cables / devices give us in information. For
example, I assume that the cables will at best give us a vendor - and
maybe not even that, but since they work for multiple dive computer
models, I doubt that they'll tell us which dive computer is attached.

But without actual test data I'm not sure how far we can push this.

Thanks