help needed: Android devices and FTDI dive computers

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Aug 8 11:13:18 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 9:32 AM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Can you install the USB Device Info app from the app store, plug in the
> FTDI cable, and send me the device info that is shown (plus any
> descriptive information about the dive computer / download cable that you
> used)?

Sadly, at least for the Suunto FTDI cases, I don't think you can tell
which dive computer it is.

You can tell it's an official Suunto cable, because it will have a
product ID of 0xf680 (the vendor ID will be 0403 - FTDI). But all the
Suunto cables use the same device ID, afaik - even when they have
different connectors.

And obviously, some people made their own cables instead of paying
Suunto $90 for the silly TFDI chip, so then they'd not going to
necessarily even have that product ID.

End result: I suspect you need to create the mapping based on user
input. Possibly by just going by "last time this device was plugged
in, they picked dive computer XYZ".

                Linus