help needed: Android devices and FTDI dive computers

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Aug 8 11:50:14 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 11:13:18AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 9:32 AM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Can you install the USB Device Info app from the app store, plug in the
> > FTDI cable, and send me the device info that is shown (plus any
> > descriptive information about the dive computer / download cable that you
> > used)?
>
> Sadly, at least for the Suunto FTDI cases, I don't think you can tell
> which dive computer it is.
>
> You can tell it's an official Suunto cable, because it will have a
> product ID of 0xf680 (the vendor ID will be 0403 - FTDI). But all the
> Suunto cables use the same device ID, afaik - even when they have
> different connectors.
>
> And obviously, some people made their own cables instead of paying
> Suunto $90 for the silly TFDI chip, so then they'd not going to
> necessarily even have that product ID.

Since you have at least one of those cables, would you mind installing the
app and sending me the output? Just so I know which information I can get
from an official Suunto cable?

> End result: I suspect you need to create the mapping based on user
> input. Possibly by just going by "last time this device was plugged
> in, they picked dive computer XYZ".

That is a good point and something I need to add. But I'd also want to at
least pre-select Suunto the first time someone plugs in a Suunto cable.