help needed: Android devices and FTDI dive computers

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Aug 8 11:58:09 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 07:20:35PM +0200, Dietrich Meyer wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> not sure if this really helps.
> I got a Suunto Vyper2, a noname FTDI cable (not original Suunto, but sourced
> from some ebay seller) and a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge with LineageOS 14.1.
>
> Installed "USB Device Info" from F-Droid. Screenshot with device info
> attached....

Thanks - so this is different from the Tusa cable... that one had

Vendor ID: 0403
Vendor Name: FTDI
Product ID:  f460
Product Name (reported):  TTL232R-3V3

yours shows

Vendor ID: 0403
Vendor Name: Smartinterface
Product ID:  6001
Product Name (reported):  USB <-> Serial Cable

It's interesting that they report the official FTDI Vendor ID, but a
different Vendor Name :-)
Which means that I need to make sure that I pick the Vendor ID, not just
the Vendor Name when setting FTDI as connection.