help needed: Android devices and FTDI dive computers

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Aug 8 12:00:50 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 11:50 AM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Since you have at least one of those cables, would you mind installing the
> app and sending me the output? Just so I know which information I can get
> from an official Suunto cable?

I tried to, but I have once more completely mis-placed my USB-C to A cable.

I have at least four of those things lying around, since we have three
Pixel's in the household and I'm pretty sure they all came with one.
And _last_ time I couldn't find it I ordered one off Amazon.

They are small and I never use them.

I'll try to look around some more.

NOTE! You can *not* rely on whatever product name strings that you get
from various apps. They do not come from the device itself, they come
from a database lookup of the vendor/device ID numbers. And even if
that database is in some system library, it doesn't mean that every
Android device will have the _same_ database.

So for all I know, you might literally get two different names for the
same device on two different phones, just because they have different
Android versions on them.

So you really should only trust the numerical vendor/device ID. That's
what the actual USB device will report.

(Sure, you can also look at other "actual report" details like serial
numbers etc, but USB serial numbers do not tend to be reliable. And
device classes etc will be the same for the same device ID (unless
there's some seriously screwed up devices out there).

             Linus