help needed: Android devices and FTDI dive computers

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Aug 9 05:41:58 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 11:50:21PM -0500, Matt Thompson wrote:
> Don't know why I didn't think to send this earlier with the other two but
> here is the USB info for the Aqualung i750TC using the standard Aqualung
> connector.

Nice

> Device Info
> Device Path: /dev/bus/usb/001/005
> Device Class: Use class information in the Interface Descriptors (0x0)
> Vendor ID:  0403
> Vendor Name (reported):  FTDI
> Vendor Name (from DB):  Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
> Product ID:  6015
> Product Name (reported):  FT231X USB UART
> Product Name (from DB):  not found

So this appears to be a Product ID for FTDI that we hadn't seen before.
It's unclear, of course, if this is Aqualung specific or just another
generic one.

I'll add this to the ones we recognize, but for now without making it
pre-select Aqualung.

> Looks like we don't have this one working for download at all just yet in
> mobile.  I was able to select everything but downloads fail.  Logs follow.

I'm adding this to my branch right now.

> ---------- subsurface.log ----------
> "19.780: DCDownloadThread started for Aqualung i750TC on FTDI"
> Starting download from  ftdi
> Finishing download thread: "Unable to open ftdi Aqualung (i750TC)"
> "19.795: Unsupported operation"
> no new dives downloaded
> "19.821: DCDownloadThread finished"
>
> ---------- libdivecomputer.log ----------
> Subsurface: v4.8.1-156-g23b7970459b6, built with libdivecomputer
> v0.7.0-devel-Subsurface-NG (bb985eedbb3e686e5a71bf2aa234fb49f8cab653)
> INFO: Open: name=ftdi
> ERROR: No such file or directory (2) [in
> /data/android/subsurface/libdivecomputer/src/serial_posix.c:295
> (dc_serial_open)]

This might be a sign that your phone doesn't allow access to '/sys' as a
"security precaution" and that currently breaks our ability to download
via FTDI.