more help needed: Android + FTDI, Cobalt, Suunot EON Steel/Core, Scubapro G2/Aladin Square

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Aug 9 05:55:24 PDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 08:41:41AM +0200, Dietrich Meyer wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, LineageOS 14.1
> DC: Suunto Vyper 2
> FTDI cable: NoName...
> Subsurface 4.8.1.156
>
> > Start Subsurface-mobile (I need to poke at this a little more in order for
> > it to work correctly when Subsurface-mobile gets started because you
> > plugged in a dive computer)
>
> On my phone, subsurface always gets started automatically, when I connect the
> FTDI cable - this did work already for the last year - nothing new here....

Yes, that had worked in the past - I explained this poorly in my post.
What's new is that we try to open the download page and populate some of
the information based on the information that Android gives us.

> > Once Subsurface-mobile is running, plug in your dive computer. Android
> > should ask you if you want to connect the device with Subsurface-mobile.
> > If it doesn't ask, I want to know more about your dive computer and cable
> > in order to be able to fix this. Right now I think it should ask for all
> > the dive computers referenced in the Subject line of this email.
>
> Didn't get any request, but I think that is because somehow the Android on my
> phone already had the connection between the FTDI cable and subsurface (I
> vaguely remember having seen such dialogue when I first used subsurface-mobile
> to download from my DC.

Yes, you can tell Android not to ask you anymore and to just start the app
whenever that device is plugged in.

> > Once you accept the request, Subsurface-mobile should switch to the
> > Download page, and depending on your specific situation, some / most / all
> > of the information for the three comboboxes should be filled in.
>
> This is indeed new: It does now switch automatically to the download page.
> However: It does only do this when subsurface was already running.
> If I did not start subsurface previously but let it start by inserting the
> FTDI cable, then it does not switch to the download page.

See my response to Matt a moment ago. There's a bit more code that I need
to write in order for that to work.

> > Please note which options were selected for vendor / product / connection
>
> Vendor: Empty
> Product: Empty
> Connection: FTDI
>
> Since my FTDI cable does not provide any more information, this makes sense...

Yep

> When I manually open the download page, then the vendor (Suunto) and product
> (Vyper2) are preselected - remembered from previous downloads. But the
> connection field is empty.

The goal is to get you the best of both worlds. The information it
remembered plus what it can learn from the cable plugged in. Also code
that is not complete, yet.

> "26.372: UsbDevice[mName=/dev/bus/usb/
> 001/003,mVendorId=1027,mProductId=24577,mClass=0,mSubclass=0,mProtocol=0,mManufacturerName=Smartinterface,mProductName=USB
> <-> Serial
> Cable,mVersion=2.0,mSerialNumber=null,mConfigurations=[\nUsbConfiguration[mId=1,mName=null,mAttributes=160,mMaxPower=250,mInterfaces=[\nUsbInterface[mId=0,mAlternateSetting=0,mName=USB
> <-> Serial
> Cable,mClass=255,mSubclass=255,mProtocol=255,mEndpoints=[\nUsbEndpoint[mAddress=129,mAttributes=2,mMaxPacketSize=64,mInterval=0]
> \nUsbEndpoint[mAddress=2,mAttributes=2,mMaxPacketSize=64,mInterval=0]]]]"

Yes, the best we can do here is guess that this is an FTDI device.