Cloud Site Issue

Bryan Oliver oliverwritescode at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 17:22:00 PDT 2018

> That should happen fairly quickly… usually faster than people are able to
> test. I wonder what delayed it.

I think it was user error. When I sent the second email stating it worked,
I had tried it on my phone (and that was the first time I had requested it
from my phone, aka no cache). Then I went back to my desktop, and still no
dice until I cleared cache like you mentioned.

Are there ways to mark things on the server so that the browsers don’t
> cache the .js files that we send? Because that’s the #1 source of user
> problems - old versions of files in the browser cache.

A pretty quick solution would be to configure the Apache server. We just
need to send the proper caching headers (specifically, we need apache to
send the *no-cache *header, the browser will handle the rest).

*One method to do so here:*

Add a .htaccess file to the root of the web directory, and add the
following:

<FilesMatch "^(list_lib|jquery.min)\.js$">
Header set Cache-Control "no-cache"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
</FilesMatch>

To add more files to the caching rule, just add them in the parens above,
separated by a pipe.

If you want to do it for all of the files just use:

<FilesMatch "\.(html|js|css)$">
</FilesMatch>

Happy to discuss further or help implement on the server. My one concern
about the above approach is how does the stat.js file get created? Is it
made on request? Or is it updated in some sort of user directory each time
the server gets a cloud sync? If it's made on request, we'll just need to
make sure the response handler is also giving the no-cache header.

There are many more areas where we would love to get help - your areas of
> expertise are a bit vague, can you provide some more background (if you
> don’t want to do that in public than personal email to me is fine, too).

I'll shoot you an email.

thanks,
Bryan