IRDA via OTG

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Dec 6 11:37:48 PST 2018

On 6/12/18 19:48, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 06:10:25PM +0100, Robert Helling wrote:
>> a user ask on Facebook about accessing his Galileo Luna computer from
>> Android. That dive computer has an irda interface and he has an OTG
>> usb-irda cable. Is there a chance to get this to work or not? What am I
>> supposed to answer?
>
> I have no idea, no access to such a setup, and no faith whatsoever that this
> would work ever (or consistently between different phones / Android versions
> / dongle versions / dive computers. This simply isn't something that we ever
> looked at.

To make this work, the phone would need an irda stack and the kernel drivers for
the usb dongle. I would be very surprised if there are phones with those
features enabled. Most phones don't even have the more common usb-serial
drivers. So the chance that this will work out of the box is probably near zero.

In theory you could implement a userspace stack (there is a java implementation,
which is also being used by Scubapro's Logtrak application) in combination with
a userspace usb driver.

Jef