IRDA via OTG

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Dec 6 23:04:52 PST 2018

On 2018-12-07 07:42, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Divemate has an IR mobile phone dongle that works for at least the
> Uwatec range of computers that are IrDA. I have no idea whether that
> is a full implementation of the IrDA stack or whether it is just a
> hack. It would be very useful to know what their approach was in
> designing this.

With the divemate solution, the IrDA stack runs on the dongle, not on
the host. The host system will see it as a regular usb device (possibly
a standard usb-serial chip) and talk to it using some custom
communication protocol (probably some simple pass-through mechanism). So
the dongle effectively hides the underlying IrDA communication from the
host system.

Jef