Mobile user manual - three questions

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Dec 31 00:46:57 PST 2018

The latest version of the mobile manual is not yet part of the mobile
app because there has not been a new .apk since the changes to the
manual. However, it is available as part of the source in master.
Browsing the mobile user manual using Chrome and Android Internet shows
several differences compared to browsing the same file on a laptop. I
need other developers to confirm these discrepancies and to express an
opinion on a change in presentation that I introduced.

Since the mobile screen is narrow and high, the user manual is wasteful
on screen space when screenshots are included in the manual. (lots of
empty space around screenshots). I tried to address this by putting some
of the screen shot images in an HTML table with some text to the right
of the screenshot.

First question: Do you think this is an improvement at all?

Related to this change, in LANDSCAPE view, the different mobile browsers
do different things to the text on the right of a screenshot. Chrome
renders the text with a larger font that the main body of the user
manual. Android Internet renders it in a smaller font (a less obtrusive
change) than the rest of the text.

Second question: What do you experience on your mobile device?

Both mobile browsers render the secondary headings (numbered with a
decimal point, e.g. "3.1") using a very small font that is not very
appealing. This is a bit better in LANDSCAPE mode than in portrait view.

Third question: what do you experience?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to