Dive Planner: Inconsistent dive ceiling calculations

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jan 2 06:51:00 PST 2018

On 02/01/2018 15:34, Robert Helling wrote:
> Willem,
>
> reading your second mail, I understand there are only two different
> ceilings left: The one in the divelist which equals the one in the
> planner when you remove the ascent points and the second one you get
> in reedit until you remove the ascent waypoints.
>
> This is a „feature“ of the VPM-B model: It treats the „decompression
> phase“ different from the bottom part of the dive, in particular it
> takes note of the ceiling at the beginning of the decompression. In
> the planner (as well as replan), we take all the explicitly listed
> waypoints as the definition of „bottom phase“ (so in replan before
> deleting the waypoints, the whole dive is „bottom phase“). In the
> divelist we make a clever guess (thanks to Rick’s code) as to where
> the bottom phase ends. This tends to be very close to the true bottom
> phase of planned dives (when the entered waypoints end at the deepest
> part of the dive and then the planner takes over and manages the
> ascent) but is not exactly the same.
>
> I have recently blogged about this problem here
>
> https://thetheoreticaldiver.org/wordpress/index.php/2017/12/22/vpm-b-for-real-dives-or-not/
>
> Best
> Robert

Hi Robert,

It's such a pleasure interacting with someone who really understands
this thing, because I do not. I will document this issue in the user
manual. It's really the way that the representation in Subsurface
interacts with the VPM algorithm when a dive plan is reloaded for editing.

Would there be a possibility of a user defining the end of the bottom
section of the dive and for automatically clearing the ascent dive
points when a plan is reloaded from the dive list for editing? I
understand how arbitrary the "start of ascent" can be, e.g. when doing
multi-level diving.

V-planner handles this problem in a bit of a different way. One can
define predetermined segments (e.g. a multilevel dive or a cave dive)
that cannot be avoided in the ascent. However, between these segments,
V-Planner still calculates a deco schedule. For instance if a multilevel
dive has two depths, e.g. 40m for 20 min; then 20m for 20 min, V-Planner
still gives deco stops between 40m and 20m, even though there is a
pre-determined 20min "stop" at 20m. It would be wonderful if Subsurface
has a way of dealing with this situation. You have no idea how powerful
the Subsurface dive planner is for rapid graphical assessment of gas
volumes used, planning for possible failure of a deco cylinder and many
other things. The graphical representation makes an enormous difference.

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to