Dive plan: Taking into account isobaric counterdiffusion

Stefan Fuchs sfuchs at gmx.de
Tue Jan 2 08:56:45 PST 2018

Hallo Robert, hello Willem,

Am 02.01.2018 um 15:24 schrieb Robert Helling:
> Hi,
>
>> On 2. Jan 2018, at 14:53, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de
>> <mailto:sfuchs at gmx.de>> wrote:
>>
>> I am personally interested in this topic so I started to play with
>> your patch and this is my feedback:
>> - +1 for implementing s.th <http://s.th/>. regarding ICD / IBCD
>> - Ok with choosing this 5% rule of thumbs from IANTD unless someone
>> clearly shows us that there is a MUCH better approach or e.g. a kind
>> of 2nd/3rd/... limit we could consider additionally
>> - No real idea where else we could put this code other than in the
>> plannernotes.c
>> Ok, this was the easy part, now the more difficult items:
>> - I already expected people to give negative feedback regarding
>> cluttering the UI/output - and I would have understood this.
>> Always adding this additional column in the dive plan table with some
>> complex info which is needed by almost nobody really doesn't look
>> that nice. So we need to look for a clever solution for this. I
>> already see a few options:
>> x Only show this column for Tx dives (not too difficult but still it
>> could happen that s.o. want's NOT to see the info)
>> x Prefs option to switch it on/off (yeah, also cluttering the UI)
>> x Don't print ICD info into plan/table but only show it as a tool tip
>> when hovering over the gas in the plan (complex, maybe even not possible)
>>

> I also like the idea of displaying the info on ICD (and I am happy to
> hear that there is some sort of limit that at least some people agree on).
Yeah, surprisingly already two or maybe even three people feel ok with
the same solution ;-)
BTW, it's the rule of "1/5", not as I accidentally wrote the rule of "5%".
Honestly I didn't hear of this rule until Willem mentioned it. But I
simply say "ok for me" because:
- IANTD afaik is not the least important tech diving association ;-)
- What I read about this rule of thumbs on the web makes sense
- The results simply fit together with my knowledge of what is a OK gas
combination and what is a NOT OK gas combination regarding ICD
  (not too difficult for me because the only two Tx bottom mix I "know"
are Tx21/35 and Tx18/45 and I know that EAN50 as 1st deco gas is OK
together with the Tx21/35 but NOT OK with the Tx18/45)
- Implementing the "rule" itself will finally maybe even not be the most
important/interesting part but showing dN2% and dHe% is much more
interesting - BTW, yes, I would also print dHe%

> I am not sure, the dive notes/written dive plan are the best location
> for the display, though, in particular since those notes are supposed
> to be printed on wet notes (and during the dive this is not relevant
> information). Wouldn’t it be better to make this an event in the
> profile or modify the gas change event accordingly (including the
> percentage information and maybe using a different icon if the change
> is above the threshold)?
Yes, goes on the list of possible solutions. But also Willems latest
proposal should go on the list.
And then we need to fill the decision form - hopefully Dirk installed a
process for this - sorry, working in a large company for too long time
already... ;-)

Best regards
Stefan

--