Maintaining my git repository.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Jan 18 08:27:27 PST 2018

I have a question that deals with maintenance of my local master branch
within the context of additional local development branches. Let's say I
have two local development git branches DEV1 and DEV2. While I am
working on those branches, there is an update from origin, that is, the
master on the Subsurface github repository is updated through merging
some new patches of other contributors. Now, I can easily pull the
updates from remote master, but the synchronisation of DEV1 and DEV2
becomes a problem. Now, there are two cases:

a) the code files that I have changed in DEV1 and DEV2 have not been
affected by the most recent merge.

b) there is a conflict.

What is the most sane way of keeping DEV1 and DEV2 in sync with master?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf for full