Qt models uniquely for mobile or desktop

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 21 05:59:06 PST 2018

On 21-01-18 14:09, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl
> <mailto:jlmulder at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>
>     On 21-01-18 12:50, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
>
>         This is something that I didn't wanted to do since the beginning.
>         our models *should* be both desktop and mobile compatible (with
>         the exception of the dive list because of the way QT handles
>         Tree Views)
>

>     I agree with that (models *should* be both desktop and mobile
>     compatible). However, when checking the current code base, we see
>     that we only have 2 models that are used both in mobile and desktop,
>     and the rest is used exclusively only on mobile (3 models) or only
>     in desktop (18! models). And as there is no reason to link in any
>     unused code, just do not link those 18 desktop only models to the
>     mobile app.
>

> there's also no reason to duplicate code, I prefer to have a bit of
> unused code in both platforms than to duplicate stuff - also this means
> less code to maintain, and usually less bugs.

And also agree on this, But in this action, not 1 line code is
duplicated. And I do not promote any new duplications. The only thing is
that the unused code is not compiled (and linked). And as unused code is
not exercised (in mobile), we cannot even see that it *is* compatible or
not.

So, Tomaz, while I agree with your statements, I fail to see how it
applies to this

--jan