Split a dive by time

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Jul 1 12:50:17 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:06 AM tormento <turment at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry but not working for me. Perhaps I put computer not so shallow to recognize as “surface”.

As with a lot of subsurface issues, one of the main complications is
having the UI integration.

A lot of these things are likely fairly simple to implement, but there
are people like me who really don't do UI, but could do the "split
dive" part fairly easily. And there are probably people who could do
the UI trivially, but then don't feel comfy with the low-level dive
profile data structures.

Things like the automatic dive splitting by surface time was "easy" to
do, because it really ended up just needing another menu entry in the
dive menu.

I do wonder what your dive computer reports the depth as? We consider
"surface" to be 75 cm (so about 2.5 ft). It's an entirely arbitrary
depth, going back to 2012 and never tweaked.

So I wonder what depth your dive computer reported for your surface
time. Maybe we could just tweak that SURFACE_THRESHOLD, and make our
automatic dive splitting JustWork(tm) for you too.

                   Linus