Website translations [was Re: 4.8.1 has been released]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jul 14 12:05:39 PDT 2018

Hi Peter,

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 11:32 AM, Peter Zaal <peter.zaal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have not actually looked at the website pages in GitHub, but out of curiosity, did you ever think about, or considered using Transifex for the translations of the website pages? Or would this now be too late or just not fit that?
> I have been contributing to the (Dutch) translations just recently, and I find Transifex very easy and convenient to use. I am not comfortable with GitHub and using one system for code, being GitHub, and one system for translations, being Transifex, would make sense to me. That might also be easier for people to contribute and keep up to date.

Those are all excellent comments and thoughts.
Here's a bit of history.
The Subsurface website is maintained in WordPress. A few years ago I started paying for a commercial quality theme and for a commercial version of a translation plugin. And then integrated all this with a tool that syncs the pages and posts into GitHub.
I got all of this to work and some people started translating on GitHub and as is not uncommon in all-volunteer projects I simply said "hey, this seems to work" and stopped messing with it.
The biggest problem in Subsurface is my role as principal bottleneck, to be honest. Very often we end up with solutions that "happen to work" and then I am resistant to change things because most of the time that change requires significant time investment from me.

I'm happy to look into wiring things up so that we can use Transifex for the translations. Let me look at what tools are available and how much manual work this will mean for me - because in the end, that's the part that I am most concerned about.