website translation experiments

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 16 09:32:06 PDT 2018

As always, nothing is as easy as it should be :-)

First my database server crashed - I believe this was unrelated, but am not 100% sure.
Then 2/3 of the updates worked, but three didn't - also not sure why, the error message is truly enlightening: "Received an error object"... gee, thanks for letting me know.

But it was easy enough to create another commit that caused an update of those three and now the website has been updated.

> On Jul 16, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
>> Another question, should and can we use html entities for special characters, e.g. if I want to use an é in the text, can I just put an é, or should we use   é or would this be encoded once more on the site (and literally show "é") ?
>
> That's exactly the kind of thing I want to find out. Feel free to try different things - I'll transfer the result over to the website this morning and then we'll see what works and what doesn't.

I took a quick look and while this ends up looking strange in the git repo, it seems it renders fine on WordPress. Can you take a look and see if this is what you wanted it to be?

Either way, while not everything worked the way I wanted, this first attempt actually is really promising. Some issues to figure out for sure, but by and large this seems to work.

I will now add a post (an announcement) and try the same things again. Stay tuned :-)