website translation experiments

Peter Zaal peter.zaal at
Mon Jul 16 22:37:09 PDT 2018

Regarding the diacritic characters, I noticed that when you use the literal diacritics in the translated text, this does not show correctly on the website.

E.g. in the translated text ‘Bühlmann’ shows as ‘Bühlmann’ on the website, or ‘geïntegreerd’ in Transifex shows as ‘geïntegreerd’ on the website.

Using encoded text in Transifex shows correctly on the website (although not encoded there), e.g. ‘één’ shows as ‘één’. ‘&’ shows as ‘&’.

So I guess this means we should use html encoding for the ‘special’ characters.






On Jul 16, 2018, at 1:15 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at <mailto:dirk at> > wrote:


Thanks, I misunderstood what was supposed to be changed.


This was correctly transferred from Transifex to my intermediate format.

>From there it went correctly into GitHub:

And the upload from there to WordPress showed no error. Yet it didn't get updated. That's even more frustrating as that makes it harder for me to know when to retry...


So I made a whitespace change and pushed it again.

This time I got a "could not update post in the database" error.


And digging through the logs it turns out that it is indeed the encoding of the "één" that's the problem. Wordpress rejects what I am sending to it. So now I need to figure out how to work around that...


THANKS for the eagle eyes and for making sure I catch this. That would have been rather embarrassing.


This is indeed very strange. Files from Transifex are supposed to arrive in UTF-8. Nothing in my processing should have changed things to ISO8859-1 - yet <>  is the one file that was incorrectly encoded.

Right now I have no explanation. Add this to the list of things that I'm worried about, I guess.


Manually converted and re-uploaded, all good now. Please check the website if anything else got damaged - especially look at the non-ASCII letters in the text, please.




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the subsurface mailing list