website translation experiments

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:38:10 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:44 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2018, at 8:21 AM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how we can translate the headers that are shown together
>> with the images on the main page (e.g.: "Multiplatform", "Log all your
>> dives", etc.)? The captions are on the strings on the "About" page, mas the
>> header are missing...
>>

> This is not yet possible. Dirk will have to do some more manual work to
> get it all ready for translation.
>
> Dirk, there seems to be a bug in the announcement of 4.8.1. The following
> sentence has wrong version number
> ---8<---
> Some of the changes in Subsurface 4.8:
> ---8<---
>

> So true.
>
> Things like that are easy to fix with a PR to subsurface-website :-)
>
> But I already fixed it. Thanks Miika.
>
> And Transifex Support has responded to my question about the new project
> that will include all of the text for the website.
> So please don't be surprised if the resources move around suddenly.

i see that the titles are now available in Transifex under the website
project. Subsurface project still contains the older version of the about
page. I am assuming we are moving our efforts under the website part.

> I will try REALLY HARD not to lose any translations in the process :-)

One problem that would be nice to be changed is that currently untranslated
pages end up with English texts in the foreign language resulting in
transifex claiming all strings to be translated. Would be great if these
were empty in Transifex side.

I am also not certain how well this is going to work when pages get
updated. I.e. previously I have commented that it should be easy to see
what is falling out of sync on Transifex, but currently I am unsure if this
is true or not. But we will know more when the prototyping continues.

miika