Ratio Computers loves your work!

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jun 7 06:09:09 PDT 2018

One remark inline below ...

On 05/26/2018 12:46 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> [...]
>> you simply link to in documentation etc. And while hopefully the normal
>> subsurface releases "just work(tm)" for that, you really want the first
>> customer experience to be with a binary that *you* guys provide and that
>> has been Q&A'd and tested with the dive computer you ship.
>>
>> Now, the above doesn't necessarily take a lot of actual engineering: it's
>> mostly making sure you have your own binary, and that you've done basic
>> testing and quality assurance on it. You'll want to ship a basic manual
>> etc, and again, we have one, but you'd want to make sure that you ship your
>> own version if only to make sure it's available from
>> http://www.ratio-computers.com, and maybe have somebody go over it.
>>
>> We obviously try to not break our binaries, and we obviously do have
>> manuals etc that we provide, but I really think that if you want to replace
>> your old binary, you'll want to make sure that the details are right for
>> you. Maybe you want to customize the dive downloader to pick the Ratio dive
>> computers by default, maybe you want to check that the Italian translation
>> is up-to-date and good (it hopefully is, but you would want to verify).
>>
>> I assume the above is all obvious and you've already discussed it as part
>> of the whole "if we do this, we need to ..." internally, but I wanted to
>> just state it explicitly. We do *development*, but there's that step
>> between development and productization that you'd need to be in charge of.
>>
>> That said, I'd hope the productization work also ends up resulting in some
>> development that we'll take back, so it's obviously not one-sided.
>
> All this is true. But over the last few years the one thing that I have learned
> is that the expectations for a "product" (be it a desktop app or a mobile app)
> are fundamentally different from a "project". And Subsurface is decidedly a
> project with no interest in being anything else.
>
> We don't take donations because it's too much work, but also because I
> (and please note the change of pronoun here) absolutely do not want to
> ever be in a conversation of "well, I gave you money, so I expect...". And
> while I'm sure that most people would never dream of doing this, the amount
> of emails that I delete and people that I end up blocking because of their
> attitude of what they believe they are owed from this project... it's simply
> not worth it.
>
> So: I have no problem with someone else using Subsurface for whatever
> purpose they want (as long as they comply with the license of Subsurface
> and the components that we use - i.e. make the full source code of the
> version that you ship available to any user, among other things).
> But I politely request that you change the branding and that you provide
> your own support. You can call it "Ratio-Divelog (based on Subsurface)" or
> just "Ratio-Divelog". But please don't call the thing that you ship "Subsurface".
> And please don't point your customers to us for support.

subsurface. If I buy a new dive computer, I may change vendors based on
who has the best dive computer at the time.

The great thing about subsurface is lets me keep all my dives in one
place and easily change dive computers as my needs and technology change.

Integrating a community developed projects with commercial interests is
an interesting problem. In this case, I do not think vendor specific
branding is a good solution.

Philip