Find moved images: match path instead of hashes?

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jun 9 13:54:11 PDT 2018

Hi Willem,

On Samstag, 9. Juni 2018 19:24:04 CEST Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I would support any move to simplify a complex process such as hashing
> and looking for files across the while directory tree. My problem is
> that I have many files with the same name. They are in different dives,
> but the actual images reside in a directory structure in off-line
> storage. For instance, with fish photos I often have the English and
> scientific names as the file name. For this reason I have many files
> entitled "Redfang triggerfish Odonus niger.jpg". I am concerned that
> this would cause confusion in a filename-based system.

For exactly this reason the upper directories are also checked besides the
filename. Of course, we could optimize things by checking meta-data, file-
modification date, etc. But I doubt that this is worth it, as it would just
reintroduce the old complexity.

It seems to me that your data would be the perfect test-case for the feature.
But perhaps wait until I changed the implementation to only match against the
pictures of the currently opened log. The more I think about it, the more I
believe that this is the right thing to do.

If moving dive logs with images between computers is a common use case for
you, I wonder if a export/import-images feature might be the right thing for
you. This would produce/read an archive containing all the image data of the
current divelog. The advantage over the current scheme is that it would be
less intrusive.

Berthold