new releases

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Jun 16 00:41:45 PDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 4:26 PM Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:

> Another approach to solve the FTDI issue in specific is to replace the
> serial_ftdi.c code all together with a implementation using the official
> android ftdi driver (d2xx.jar) and doing jni calls into it. The downside
> with this is that we would drop support for all pure libusb devices,
> like the eon steel, and so on.

It's likely only the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt that we would need to worry about.

On a phone, you'd use BLE to talk to the EON Steel and the Scubapro
G2, which are the main usbhid users (which in turn uses libusb -
unless HIDPI works on Android?).

Of course, BLE is flaky, so USB *could* be good on Android, but let's
be honest - nobody is going to bother.

             Linus