FTDI

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 28 04:18:43 PDT 2018

Just a quick note, thanks to a good friend of mine who was able to loan an old Sony Experia phone to me, I now finally have access to an Android device that supports our FTDI download.
I also managed to sweet-talk my broken OSTC 3 to at least sometimes turn on again. It appears to have a broken layer board as any stress on the connector makes it randomly stop working, but with enough gentle wiggling and then NOT TOUCHING I was able to do my first FTDI download from Subsurface-mobile on Android.
Nice - barely in time to test things for the release :-)

While playing around with this phone I was wondering what we could do to make this a better user experience, especially to avoid people trying to download with non-FTDI download cables.

When the user plugs in a device, Android offers to start Subsurface. Does Subsurface get a notification? Is there some way that Subsurface could "know" that an FTDI device is indeed connected to the Android device?