FTDI

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Thu Jun 28 08:37:04 PDT 2018

On 28 June, 2018 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> Just a quick note, thanks to a good friend of mine who was able to loan an old Sony Experia phone to me, I now finally have access to an Android device that supports our FTDI download.
> I also managed to sweet-talk my broken OSTC 3 to at least sometimes turn on again. It appears to have a broken layer board as any stress on the connector makes it randomly stop working, but with enough gentle wiggling and then NOT TOUCHING I was able to do my first FTDI download from Subsurface-mobile on Android.
> Nice - barely in time to test things for the release :-)
>
> While playing around with this phone I was wondering what we could do to make this a better user experience, especially to avoid people trying to download with non-FTDI download cables.
>
> When the user plugs in a device, Android offers to start Subsurface. Does Subsurface get a notification? Is there some way that Subsurface could "know" that an FTDI device is indeed connected to the Android device?

The app is opened with a intent, because we declare that we would like
one:
<intent-filter>
	<action android:name="android.hardware.usb.action.USB_DEVICE_ATTACHED" />
</intent-filter>

How to receive that in Qt and open the right Qml screen, I have no clue.

I would also like us to not just print "FTDI" in the drop down. It would
be way better to say bus / device number, and some other relevant
strings. We could also use this to open the right device, not just some
device that we might find. This makes it more inline with now the
Bluetooth thingie works.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604