New Android beta

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 05:51:45 PDT 2018

On 13 March 2018 at 10:58, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
> On 11/03/2018 22:40, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>
>> We now have a version of the map widget for the mobile app, thanks to
>> Lubomir.
>>
>> I pushed an Android update to the beta channel and would appreciate
>> testing and feedback.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /D
>

> Tried the map facility on Android 7.0 on a Galaxy S6. I could not fault it
> in any way. Tried lots of things but it appeared rock stable.  This included
> switching between map mode and satellite image mode. Lubomir, you are magic.
> Two issues:
>
> 1) It would help if, like the desktop version, the map initialised on the
> most recent dive location.

the desktop version dive list and map are more tightly linked.
on desktop the map updates immediately and also an entry is selected
in the dive list.
on mobile you have to click "map it" from dive details to move the map
to a new marker and a dive list entry is not selected on startup.

if you want the most recent dive to be selected on the map it also
makes sense for it to be selected in the dive list.

currently the map initializes over Greenwhich, but it's zoomed in.
maybe it should be zoomed out to see the entire globe.

> 2) The menu options do not all work. If I:
>
>     a) Select a particular dive site on the map and go to the dive list, it
> goes to dives at an an appropriate dive site in the dive list. The tests
> that I did went to the most recent dives at that site. Excellent. :-)
>
>     b) Open location in Google Maps, then an irrelevant location about 800
> km away is opened.

strange, cannot confirm. just tried zooming in very deep from the
subsurface map and opening in google map reproduced the location
exactly.

>     c) Copy location to clipboard (decimal) then coordinates for a
> *different* irrelevant location is copied to clipboard.
>
>     d) Copy location to clipboard (sexagesimal) then a *another different*
> random location is copied to the clipboard.

c), d) same as above. cannot confirm.

>     e) Obviously the option "Select visible dive locations" does not work.
> This is probably not because of faulty map functions but because of the way
> the dive list works at the moment that does not make this operation
> possible.

works for me. zoom over a single marker that is not selected. run
"Select visible dive locations" and the marker is selected.
it follows the same logic as a) - only a single dive in the list is selected.

lubomir