New Android beta

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:21:14 PDT 2018

On 13 March 2018 at 15:03, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Mar 13, 2018, at 5:51 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tried the map facility on Android 7.0 on a Galaxy S6. I could not fault it
>>> in any way. Tried lots of things but it appeared rock stable.  This included
>>> switching between map mode and satellite image mode. Lubomir, you are magic.
>>> Two issues:
>>>
>>> 1) It would help if, like the desktop version, the map initialised on the
>>> most recent dive location.
>>>

>> the desktop version dive list and map are more tightly linked.
>> on desktop the map updates immediately and also an entry is selected
>> in the dive list.
>> on mobile you have to click "map it" from dive details to move the map
>> to a new marker and a dive list entry is not selected on startup.
>>
>> if you want the most recent dive to be selected on the map it also
>> makes sense for it to be selected in the dive list.
>>
>> currently the map initializes over Greenwhich, but it's zoomed in.
>> maybe it should be zoomed out to see the entire globe.
>
> I think it would make sense to start the app with the last dive selected.

ok. TBD for a future patch.

>>> 2) The menu options do not all work. If I:
>>>
>>>    a) Select a particular dive site on the map and go to the dive list, it
>>> goes to dives at an an appropriate dive site in the dive list. The tests
>>> that I did went to the most recent dives at that site. Excellent. :-)
>>>
>>>    b) Open location in Google Maps, then an irrelevant location about 800
>>> km away is opened.
>>>

>> strange, cannot confirm. just tried zooming in very deep from the
>> subsurface map and opening in google map reproduced the location
>> exactly.
>
> Is this a locale problem again? Are we sending a localized string to Google
> maps by mistake?

the "open location in gmaps" uses decimal format and is not bound to locale:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/7.133541999999999
134.222761/@7.133541999999999
134.222761,5000m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

this is the same as the old "Map it" code.
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/map-widget/qml/MapWidget.qml#L327

>>>    c) Copy location to clipboard (decimal) then coordinates for a
>>> *different* irrelevant location is copied to clipboard.
>>>
>>>    d) Copy location to clipboard (sexagesimal) then a *another different*
>>> random location is copied to the clipboard.
>>>

>> c), d) same as above. cannot confirm.
>
> Can you give an example of the location you are at, and the string that is
> copied to the clipboard? That might help us figure out what's wrong.

decimal is not locale bound.
hexagesimal is locale bound and the directions are translated E, W, N, S.

>>>    e) Obviously the option "Select visible dive locations" does not work.
>>> This is probably not because of faulty map functions but because of the way
>>> the dive list works at the moment that does not make this operation
>>> possible.
>>
>> works for me. zoom over a single marker that is not selected. run
>> "Select visible dive locations" and the marker is selected.
>> it follows the same logic as a) - only a single dive in the list is selected.
>
> And if multiple markers are in the window, what's the expected behavior?

select most recent dive.

lubomir