New Android beta - maps

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 05:19:33 PDT 2018

On 14 March 2018 at 10:21, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

>>> Can you give an example of the location you are at, and the string that
>>> is
>>> copied to the clipboard? That might help us figure out what's wrong.
>>>

>>> /D
>>

>> I did several tests.
>>
>> Ironically my first test provided absolute accurate information with no
>> error, but subsequent tests produced errors.
>>
>> Here are some of the results. See:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4iel9m7qve5phu/AAAWvA8NlqSAgMPaOMKg5KrZa?dl=0
>>
>> These data report on 4 tests:
>>
>> The reference dive site is shown on Map perspective.png, using the map
>> facility in Subsurface-mobile. The location is correct.
>>
>> These tests were done by shutting down Subsurface-mobile and restarting it
>> between tests.
>>
>> Test 1 and Test 1a.
>>
>> These were tests with the map focused close to (zoomed in on) the dive
>> site when using the map menu. The location in Google maps is out. The Pin is
>> the one dropped by Subsurface-mobile, the small red icon is the dive site.
>> The error is maybe around 10 km.
>>
>> Test 2
>>
>> Zoomed out further in the Subsurface-mobile map before using the map menu.
>> Error is larger than before maybe around 150km to the north-west.
>>
>> Test 3
>>
>> Zoomed out even further before using map menu, covering large part of
>> continent. Error is even larger than in Test 2, several hundreds of km out
>> to the north.
>>
>> The direction of the error appears to be random but maybe the magnitude of
>> the error is associated with the zooming factor.
>>
>> The information copied to clipboard (decimal, hexagesimal) appear to be
>> consistent with the location shown in Google-maps (see Location info.png).

NOTE: the map uses the current center to copy to clipboard coordinates
or open the location in google maps.
it doesn't use the selected marker coordinates. this is by design.

having said that, i cannot reproduce any error for dozens of dives.
here are my steps:
- open dive list
- select random dives with gps data
- open dive details
- edit dive to see coordinates
- close "edit" and click "map it"
- copy coordinates to clipboard
- try [+], [-] to zoom in/out

do you happening to be using [+] / [-] for zooming in your tests above?
if not the center can be changed because of the slight pan when you
zoom with pinch.

lubomir