New Android beta - maps

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed Mar 14 07:01:30 PDT 2018

On 14/03/2018 15:03, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> using the map center instead of the selected marker is something i did
> by design because of the following scenario:
> - the user browses his/her dives on the map
> - decides to propose a new dive location to friend where there is no marker yet
> - zooms over that location
> - copies the location to clipboard
>
> if copying/"open in gmaps" of coordinates was only possibly based on a
> selected marker then the above wouldn't be possible
> also the menu items would not work at all if there were no markers on the map.
>
> maybe the menu text has to be adjusted?
>
> lubomir
> --

Lubomir, for me the map that interacts with total smoothness is just
miraculous on the mobile platform. I accept your approach. In that case
I would do two things.

1) In the map menu, the option "Open location in Google Maps" is
misleading because within our context a location is a dive site. Would
it make sense to change it to 'Change screen to Google maps" ??.

2) Is the pin that is automatically dropped a vital part of the
exercise? It is just the centre of the previous screen. If you are not
convinced, then open Google maps but leave out the pin because it
distracts from what one is trying to do and the centre of the screen has
no special meaning ???

Your map is such an excellent contribution. I was impressed  when I cut
my wifi and mobile data and the smoothness with which the map worked
with no Internet.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to